Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

Hebrews chapter 11 lists many people from the Bible who showed great faith. Here I have listed some of those mentioned as well as the way the showed their faith and the blessings that they received in return.
My table can be found
here.

There are many examples of men and women who showed great faith throughout the scriptures. These are three other people or groups of people that I think could be added to this list.

  1. Joseph Smith. He had great faith that God would give him direction and tell him which church he should join. After reading James 1:5 he retired to a grove of trees and offered a humble prayer for direction. His faith led to the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ upon the earth in the latter days.
  2. Nephi’s great faith in returning to Laban to retrieve the Brass Plates. He knew that God would provide a way for him to accomplish his task that seemed near impossible to accomplish. "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."(1 Nephi 4)
  3. The 2,000 stripling young warriors who bravely went to battle to protect their homes, families and liberties with a great faith that God would deliver them. They were taught by their mothers. (Alma 56)

In Hebrews 12:1-2, Paul encouraged the saints to lay aside sin, and continue on with patience (endure), and look to Jesus Christ, the author and finisher (one who completes or finishes) of our faith.

Faith is different than belief. Belief in something is passive. It doesn’t require action on our part. Faith on the other hand includes a belief in something, but it is more than that, it leads us to action. We can believe in Christ, that he lived and that he exists, but faith in him requires us to trust him and follow his example. When we have faith, we believe that we can become like him and we have faith when we keep the commandments and live worthy lives to become joint heirs with Christ.

To complete this assignment, I read the required reading, created my chart and answered the additional questions listed in the assignment.

I chose this assignment, because the topic of faith was of great interest to me and in reading Hebrews 11, I was very interested in the examples of faith that Paul lists from the Bible.

The best thing about my assignment was pondering and distinguishing the difference between belief and faith. I also enjoyed learning from the examples of faith and thinking about how they could relate to me and my life. I am not sure how this assignment could have improved. I thought that it gave me lots of different ways to study faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment