Thursday, July 5, 2012

We can find solutions to life's challenges in the scriptures

My assignment this week was to find solutions in the scriptures for some common issues that we or others may encounter.

1. People sometimes argue and complain over petty matters in church meetings or throughout the week.

Paul's counsel to the saints in Phillipians 2:1-8, 14-15 teaches us several things that can help us find solutions to this challenge.

  • We should be like minded
  • Compassionate
  • We should be of one accord (united)
  • No strife
  • Humble, esteem others better than themselves
  • Christlike

If we are striving to emulate Christ, we will treat others with respect, compassion and love. We will be humble and place other's concerns and needs above our own. I can see why this counsel was given, if all members of the church responded in this way, there would be unity and the petty issues would disappear. If we find ourselves in this situation, we can try to follow this counsel and respond to others who may disagree in a loving way so as not to ignite feelings of strife. This also reminds me of the scripture that states "a soft answer turneth away wrath." (Proverbs 15:1) Our response to these encounters can either fan the flames or quench them.

2. Many youth feel that their parents' testimony is sufficient for them. Since they have good parents, they rely on them for all their spiritual strength.

In philippians 2:12-15, Paul's counsel in regards to this situation is as follows:

  • We must work out our own salvation. (verse 12)
  • We must do all things without murmuring and disputing. (verse 14)
  • Paul teaches that as we become sons and daughters of God, that we can stand in the midst of a wicked generation and "shine as lights in the world".

We must each gain our own testimony. It is part of working out our salvation to come unto Christ. Without our testimonies, we cannot stand steadfast and immovable. When we gain our own testimony it changes who we are and what we do and we can shine as lights in the world by being an example to others and sharing our testimony with those who do not have the gospel or a testimony of their own; that we may show them how to work out their own salvation as well.

3. An investigator is considering joining the Church, but his family will no longer associate with him if he does.

This is a tough situation, but Paul gives some great counsel in Philippians 3:7-16 and 4:13.

  • He essentially teaches that it is worth giving up everything to "win Christ and be found in him"(phl 3:8-9)
  • In Phl 4:13 He gives the encouragement with his words, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me".

This would be a very difficult decision to join the church at the loss of ones family, but the blessings that come to us through accepting the gospel and making and keeping covenants through baptism are worth whatever sacrifice we need to make, and we can have the assurance that we will receive the strength that we need when we are obedient to God's commandments.

Writing this assignment is an example of the principle found in 2 Nephi 32:3, because Nephi teaches us in this verse that "the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." As we feast upon the words as Nephi suggests, we can receive revelation from God to lead us in our lives. The scriptures were written for us. We can find solutions to our challenges as we read, study and ponder them.

I completed this assignment by pondering the different challenges, studying the scriptures listed and finding the principles that would offer a solution to those challenges.

I chose this assignment, because I felt like it was a good opportunity for me to ponder the scriptures to see how we can find direction and solutions to our problems. These may not have been my own problems, but I know that when my challenges arise, I can seek guidance and direction through the scriptures, and I know that I will find it there.

The best thing about this assignment was relating it to 2 Nephi 32:3. This made this a little more personal to me because I know that when my challenges come, as they often do, we are taught to seek answers in the scriptures.

This assignment could be improved by keeping a journal of the challenges I face or the difficulties I encounter and the answers that I receive from reading the scriptures. I think that if I will do this, I will better see how the scriptures are alive and how they teach us what we need to do to return to our Heavenly Father. We will also see his hand in our life and we can strengthen our testimony of his love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment